Careers at Impulse
Impulse offers a highly competitive compensation package and the professional advantage of an environment that recognizes your contributions and supports continued personal development. We are currently accepting resumes for the following positions:
The Technical Team Lead provides hands-on leadership for Impulse’s Customer Support team – acting as a player-coach. The specialists and engineers on this team are responsible for all aspects of customer technical support.
Impulse prides itself on providing great customer support. This is a differentiator for Impulse versus our competitors. As such, the idea candidate will share a passion for providing great customer support. At the high level, this position requires a passion for security and networking technology, and helping customers apply that technology. Our customers are expert security and network professionals – they know their “stuff” and are responsible for large networks used by tens of thousands of users. Therefore, they have high expectations we must live up to; you, therefore must have high expectations of yourself and those you are mentoring.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Hands-on direction of Customer Support ensuring customer issues are quickly and efficiently addressed to the satisfaction of the customer
- Guide the teams in collecting and monitoring key performance metrics and the necessary process changes required to drive improvement
- Guide these teams cross-functionally as they interface with the rest of Impulse to:
- Ensure customer issues are properly escalated to the development and networking teams as required
- Provide input to release planning to help prioritize, define and review planned product and services improvements (support Product Management)
- Work with QA, the development team, and early adopters from the customer base to ensure smooth release of new versions of the solution
- Ensure executive management is kept apprised of any emerging risks, metrics, and progress toward communicated goals
- Own the technical and professional development of the team members – help ensure team members know what they need to know to help the customer and how best to help them
- Update on-call duty roster on a quarterly basis, and ensure the off-hours incidents are handled promptly
- BA/BS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 3+ years’ experience leading teams focused on software support and/or service
- 6+ years’ total experience in a support or services role assisting customers in the deployment or operation of an enterprise software solution
- Technical background including:
- Networking and network management (CCNA a plus)
- Linux operating system
- Linux server life-cycle management
- Relational databases
- Security best practices and an understanding of related software and appliances
- Experience with issue tracking and CRM software such as Jira Service Desk and Salesforce
- Experience in a sales-facing support role a plus
The Business Development Representative (BDR) position is an entry level team contributor role that works with Sales and Marketing to accomplish revenue growth. The general duties of the BDR position include:
- Assist with Marketing activities.
- Creative planning on new programs
- Business writing for new collateral
- Assistance with web and social media content
- Develop new sales opportunities.
- Calling on new prospects to generate interest/demand
- Pulling reseller and MSP partners into qualified sales opportunities
- Attend occasional trade shows in the territory
- Enable Sales progression.
- Assistance with price quotes and product configurations
- Providing product function/benefits in collateral
- Customized webinar presentations to new prospects
Reporting to the COO/Vice President of Sales, the BDR will be involved throughout the sales and marketing process to generate leads, contact prospects, create and progress opportunities. To be successful, the BDR will need to be creative, energetic, understand web and social media marketing, have excellent business writing and verbal selling skills in the IT space, and be flexible to assist in all aspects of selling new networking security solutions. The position does require gaining a thorough understanding of the SafeConnect product, the customer environments, competing and related technology and ability to effectively present our value proposition to prospects.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Effective at telephone communications
- Ability to work within a team as well as independently
- Comfortable/effective making sales cold calls
- Self-motivated and flexible to handle multiple roles
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Prior sales experience
- Strong communication and customer relationship skills
- Previous role in technology sales
- Working knowledge of security software and networking technologies
- Working knowledge of network infrastructure and technologies
The Service Delivery Engineer (SDE) role will be involved in developing, managing and promoting a quality user experience in the areas of implementation, training and consulting for Impulse’s SafeConnect solution. The SDE will coordinate activities to meet established deadlines, resolve complex problems and is responsible for meeting customer objectives and expectations. They will specialize in wireless networking technology and collaborate with software engineers, quality assurance analysts and other development staff under the general direction of Impulse’s VP of Technology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Level 2-3 customer network support and advocate, as required
- Ability to relate to customers with varying levels of technical skills and understanding; from the end user, to the IT Manager, to the Executive level
- Assist with implementing the SafeConnect enterprise solution with external clients and exhibit strong project management skills (e.g. installs/trials/POCs)
- Assist existing customers with network topology changes / redesigns as they pertain to SafeConnect Integration
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills needed to manage multiple requests with varying levels of importance and criticality
- Adhere to and assist in the development and improvement of SafeConnect’s Statement of Work (SOW) service delivery process to ensure consistent success and incremental customer satisfaction improvement
- Assist in QA/Testing/Certifying both new versions of SafeConnect and integrating new third-party network platforms
- Stay current with product information, best practices, changes and updates
- Train users in existing or new functionality in order to maximize their system’s potential and usability
- Execution of project scope, documentation, billing and reporting of any Service Delivery Project directly assigned
- Create and update product documentation and best practices
- Participate in on-call rotation with other engineers
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (Key Competencies)
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Wireless networking
- Experience configuring WPA2E SSIDs required
- Experience with RADIUS Server configuration required
- Experience with RADIUS Server / Active Directory integration preferred
- Customer-facing professional services and project management expertise
- Experience managing high priority technical issues and their associated tracking and communications
- Knowledge of relevant Support Tracking Procedures and Tools (e.g. Salesforce)
- Documenting products and procedures
- Knowledge of Wireless certification(s) preferred but not required
- Understanding of Internet security technologies such as firewall, networking, authentication, intrusion detection systems, antivirus, Mobile Device Management (MDM), etc.
- Approachability: Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant and gracious; is sensitive to a patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds report well; is a good listener
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal/external customers; gets first-hand information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes effective relationships with customers gaining their trust and respect
- Listening: Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others when he-she disagrees
- Interpersonal and Political Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships. Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; anticipates where the land mines are and plans his/her approach accordingly; views corporate politics as a necessary part of organizational life and works to adjust to that reality
- Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer
The Software Development Engineer will work within a team of software engineers helping design, code, test, and support new and existing SafeConnect features. The ideal candidate will have a desire to build well-engineered backend services with the ability to work both independently (spearheading specific features) and in cooperation with others to ensure the new features fit well into the overall existing solution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, develop and deploy high quality backend services that handle a high volume of tranactions in a highly available fashion
- In addition to hands-on coding responsibilities, participate in design and peer reviews to improve overall quality of deliverables
- As part of coding, think like an Operations or Support person to ensure ease of deployment and supportability are built-in
- BA/BS in Computer Science/ Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in software development within customer-facing networking and security-related product-oriented industries
- Experience designing and developing for public cloud platforms such as AWS or Google Apps desired
- In-depth expertise in Linux desired
- Expertise in TCP/IP networking and application integration
- Experience in Java/J2EE web-based software development (Servlets, ActiveMQ JMS, RESTful APIs)
- Working experience with Tomcat or other web application server
- Working knowledge of MVC design pattern and frameworks, especially Spring
- Data Access and ORM framework experience (Hibernate / JPA, IBATIS, other)
- Knowledge of Java, Virtual Machines, Windows, MAC OS
- Understanding and appreciation for test automation tools and frameworks (Junit, Selenium WebDriver) and experience with code coverage and performance benchmarking tools
The Customer Support Engineer 1 (CSE) resolves a wide variety of challenging technical support cases submitted by Impulse’s customers and partners. The CSE works closely with senior technical personnel, including industry experts in networking and security. The CSE reports directly to the Customer Support Manager (CSM). The ideal candidate will be willing to work within a fast-paced atmosphere to support the dynamic and varied technical environments and needs of Impulse Point’s customer base.
- Provide our customers with a first line of software support for our range of products, while maintaining a superior level of customer satisfaction
- Case tracking, documenting and routing of issues, using our Salesforce case management system.
- Log customer interactions, including problems, solutions, and time tracking for all support activities
- Escalate issues and engage appropriate technical resources.
- Use, contribute to and help administer our internal technical support wiki
- Create and update customer facing documentation for use in training and end user support
- Stay current with system information, changes and updates
- Participate in on-call after hour rotation duties with other support engineers
- Other duties as assigned
Impulse offers a respectful, informal work environment that fosters professional growth and technical exploration. The CSE 1 works closely with Product Development and with a team of other Customer Support Engineers, to collaboratively solve problems, and create a better experience, both for our customers and for the team internally.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Must have an intense curiosity, and drive to understand and master new technologies.
This factor is by far the most reliable predictor of success in the Customer Support Engineer role and can more than make up for shortfalls in education or work experience.
- Two-year Technical Degree ((i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, MIS)
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills to effectively deal with various management levels, peers & end user needs
- Ideal candidate would be familiar with at least one of the following areas:
- Linux command line scripting
- Ability to create ad hoc command line queries in SQL syntax.
- Understanding of networking fundamentals like DNS, DHCP, basic routing and host-based firewalls.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct supervision
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills
- Actively seeks to share expertise with others
- Prefer 4-year bachelor’s degree in a technical area (i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, MIS) or 4+ years equivalent technical support work experience. However intense drive, motivation and curiosity may compensate.
- Prefer successful remote customer support and management expertise
- Prefer experience troubleshooting software and network problems in Windows, Apple OS X, Linux, iOS and Android environments
Impulse offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance Plan options, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, 401K Retirement Plan, Life Insurance, Equity Participation, Vacation, Sick and Holiday Paid Time Off, and Tuition Reimbursement.
Impulse Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.